If you are looking for the best espresso beans? Good news for you. Here Is the right place to pick the right one with our experts reviewed and buying guide help.
Getting an espresso right might not be as easy as you think it is. While getting the best taste depends upon accurate measurements of all the ingredients, the most important item is the coffee beans.
Likewise, if you want a taste that will linger on for quite some time, then you cannot get it done without the best espresso beans out there.
Because let’s admit it, no matter what sort of fancy coffee machine, or good quality ingredients that you may be using, you simply won’t be able to achieve that rich taste without the right espresso beans.
So, whether you are just a beginner at this or a die-hard espresso lover who loves a good cuppa, then you definitely want to learn all the techniques about finding the best espresso beans 2020 out there. Simply read on to learn more as we tell you everything you need to know about finding the best coffee beans for espresso out there.
Espresso Beans Comparison Table 2020
Top Rated Best Espresso Beans 2020 Reviews
- 1 Top Rated Best Espresso Beans 2020 Reviews
- 1.1 Stumptown Roasters Whole Bean
- 1.2 Kicking Horse 454 Horsepower
- 1.3 Blue Horse 100% Kona Dark Roast.
- 1.4 Lavazza Crema E Gusto.
- 1.5 Camano Island Sumatra Dark Roast.
- 1.6 Kicking Horse Kick Ass.
- 1.7 Death Wish
- 1.8 Lavazza Super Crema 2.2-Pound
- 1.9 Koffee Cult Thunderbolt French Roast.
- 1.10 Two Volcanoes Espresso Beans Dark Roast.
- 1.11 Stone Street Sumatra Gayo
- 1.12 Raven’s Brew Deadman’s Reach
- 1.13 Jo Wild Jo 100% Arabica
- 1.14 You Should Know Before Buying Right Espresso Beans
- 1.15 Frequently Asked Questions
- 1.16 Conclusion
Stumptown Roasters Whole Bean
Stumptown has gathered quite a following for their medium roast blend of coffee. This blend has 5 to 8 fully-washed coffee which built a complex profile. The beans vary in sizes and color. The blend of coffee can easily be used in any espresso .
It is perfect for espressos. A complete shot from an espresso would give you a shot of espresso with a thick layer of crema. In fact, the crema is so thick it can fill up one-third of a cup.
That is indeed very amazing! The aroma of the is wonderful. The taste has some hints of , although it has much less then what they imply on the note that comes inside the packet.
The tasting note profile card mentions there is a hint of cherry, but if anything you are bound to pick up a slight blackberry after taste. There is a bright taste on the initial sip. But as it cools down, you will pick up the cherry after taste. The after taste is quite dark and is more apparent as the shot cools down.
The taste is believed to be good by most, but it could be improved a bit further. However, it is still a solid and gives you lots of crema. It is also a forgiving blend when it comes to dialing in your to get the correct setting. You can get the perfect grind quite easily. The flavor is a little close to bitter but does have dark chocolatey after taste. The acidity is good on the blend too.
However, you won’t pick up anything more than cherry or blackberry taste. Because of all that crema, we can safely conclude that it’s a pretty rich shot. The aroma of the shot is really good however, the taste does not match up to the aroma. Stumptown Hairbender is a very versatile blend because it tastes pretty good even when not taken as an espresso.
- Has dark chocolate after taste.
- Gives off a very pleasing aroma.
- There are hints of cherry and blackberry.
- Forms a thick crema on top of your espresso.
- Dialing in your to grind the beans is not too difficult.
- The beans are not very consistent and come in different sizes and colors.
- It’s a bit bitter.
- You can’t pick up any flavor beyond cherry, blackberry, and .
- The flavor does not live up to the aroma you get after brewing.
Kicking Horse 454 Horsepower
Kicking Horse is a Canadian brand of coffee. Although their name is a bit unusual, they indeed produce a damn fine blend of coffee. The 454 Horsepower blend is a bit dark and bold. The coffee is quite strong. It also has a very distinctive taste. It forms a velvety coffee after being brewed and has an earthy flavor.
However, the flavor is not too complex unlike some of the other blends available in the market. There is no burnt or scorched flavor. It manages to offer a decent dark coffee that espresso lovers would pleasantly enjoy.
One drawback of this blend is that the coffee beans are slightly oily, but not too oily. The texture and consistency of the beans are quite good. They even give you a hand-written card in the coffee packet greeting you on special occasions. It’s a very nice gesture from the company.
They usually send it during the holidays. The packaging very simple. Nothing too fancy about it. The coffee has a dark chocolatey scent as well after being brewed appropriately. However, it still manages to give off a sweet aroma.
The combination of a sweet and dark flavor is truly one of a kind. It’s not bitter at all either. It may not give you the best flavor ever, but the combination of the aromas makes it very likable. You should definitely buy it if you want something that’s strong and bold, and equally sweet. It’s a unique combination.
- The blend has a dark roast, suitable for French press.
- Quite strong and bold.
- Has a very sweet aroma.
- It is not bitter.
- You can pick up hints of chocolate.
- The beans are a bit oily.
- Does not offer too many flavors.
Blue Horse 100% Kona Dark Roast.
This is another brand of coffee that has obtained mainstream success over the years for its high-quality blend. The beans for this coffee is dark, and some might consider them to be a bit oily as well. The acidity level of the beans are quite low, and there are hints of dark and caramel in terms of flavor.
The of the once brewed has a mellow aroma. Once you taste it, you will quickly realize that each sip finishes off with a after note. Blue Horse’s Kona offering has a distinctive and pleasant taste for a number of reasons.
Firstly, since the is grown under shade, the beans are usually bigger and sweeter. Each bean has been picked by hand by workers, and limited machinery has been used throughout the process.
Moreover, the beans are also wet-processed and sun-dried to boost their flavors when brewed to perfection. The beans are freshly, and then stored without milling so that its wonderful aroma can be retained inside the package.
If you are looking for a premium quality Hawaiian Kona in the market for a price that won’t break the bank, then The Blue Horse 100% Kona Dark Roast is perfect for you. Its fragrance, flavors, and taste cannot simply be described with words!
- The is dark and strong.
- There are hints of dark and Caramel.
- The a pleasant mellow aroma once brewed.
- It has a aftertaste.
- The beans are quite big and sweet.
- Beans are shade-grown.
- Beans are stored without milling to retain freshness.
- The beans are a little bit oily.
Lavazza Crema E Gusto.
Lavazza is a very well-known premium coffee brand, and the Crema E Gusto, which roughly translates to crème and taste, is indeed suitable for almost all coffee makers. The blend of the Lavazza Crema E Gusto consists of both Robusta and Arabica Beans.
With every cup, you will full- that is really rich in flavors. As you smell and take your sip from the cup, you will quickly pick up a wonderful aroma of .
Although it is one of Lavazza’s relatively new offering, it is considered by many to be their darkest and boldest roast. The Lavazza Crema E Gusto is suitable for both stovetop espresso makers and drips coffee preparations.
The brewed coffee has little to no bitterness, and will always deliver a rich cup of coffee with a thick crema on top. The coffee beans are also packaged nicely. The strength of the coffee is quite dark overall, and the intensity of the flavors is quite decent.
Since its ground coffee, once you open the package, you will notice that it is finely and even grounded. If you are someone who is really into strong coffees, then definitely go for it without any hesitation.
However, only 70% of the coffee is made from Robusta beans, and therefore, there is no overwhelming flavor to the coffee. Some people did not like the intensity of flavor on this blend. According to them, the flavor intensity is a bit on the lower side and is a bit lackluster. If you are looking for something that tastes decent without putting too much pressure on your wallet, then go for it!
- Gives off a full- .
- The gives off a hint of .
- Has a very pleasant aroma.
- The roast is quite dark and bold, perfect for espresso.
- The is finely grounded.
- The flavors should have been a bit more intense.
- Some customers said it’s a bit dry and in terms of color and texture.
- Does not have a long shelf-life.
Camano Island Sumatra Dark Roast.
If you are in the market for that can deliver a robust flavor and benefits, and is easily available, then the Camano Island Sumatra Dark Roast is a good option for you. Since this brand takes ethics seriously, their beans are always shade-grown and the beans are fairly traded.
They also give you an option to sign up the club to avail some additional features. If you decide to sign up, you can customize your selection of between 20 different varieties to suit your specific need.
You can choose among , Medium and Dark roast varieties. Other than that, they also offer exclusive specialty and espresso blends. Moreover, they even let you choose the type of grind you prefer, be it percolator or French Press.
Camano Island strives to maintain the freshness of their all the time. They even let customers know when the was by displaying the date on the seal. If you want, the can be shipped in pods as well to maintain freshness after being ground.
Since all the beans are shade-grown, they will always provide the best flavor and maintain low acidity in the .
There is no bitterness in the or any form of off-putting aftertaste. It is very pleasant to and has great flavor and aroma. It is a great to buy and is extremely reliable.
- Club membership lets you choose among 20 varieties of .
- Club membership lets you choose the type of grind you want.
- All the beans are shade-grown.
- Roasts are .
- You get recyclable pods that improve freshness.
- Shipping comes with no additional charge.
- May not be considered affordable by many.
- Shipping date is usually not specified.
- They don’t address every detail on their website.
Kicking Horse Kick Ass.
Kicking Horse, as a company, emerged in 1996 in a small garage. The founders, Elana and Joe, were making and selling their home roasts back then. However, Kicking Horse has now turned into a very popular Canadian brand of coffee. The company now specifically focusses on producing 100% .
Moreover, they have been committed to sourcing fair trade green ever since 2007. Among the 12 amazing roasts they offer, the Kick-Ass roast is truly one of a kind. The Kick-Ass roast is primarily their version of a dark roast that gives you a full-bodied earthy taste. However, the taste will at no point come off as a bit burnt at all.
Other than this, you will definitely be able to pick up hints of malt, molasses, and licorice. One drawback that most people might point out is that Kicking Horse does not source their beans from a single place. They have beans coming in from both Indonesia and South America.
A problem with many dark roast beans is the brewing process, and it can be quite difficult at times. However, the Kickass brand of beans is quite forgiving in terms of brewing, compared to other brands.
Don’t worry about the temperature and time too much while brewing. It is recommended to go for pour over, drip, French Press or Aero Press to make the truly Kick Ass!
- The is 100% .
- It is sourced from fair trade green .
- There is no bitterness.
- Has additional hints of malt, molasses, and licorice.
- No burnt after taste.
- Dark roast gives you a full- earthy taste.
- Beans are not sourced from a single origin.
- Some customers have complained about recent orders not living up to expectation.
If you are someone who craves caffeine and would definitely not settle for anything but the strongest roast in the world, then the Death Wish Coffee is probably what you have been looking for all your life! Death Wish themselves claim to make the strongest whole bean coffee in the world, and they have remained true to their words so far.
The caffeine content in their beans has been painstakingly intensified through careful selection of beans and appropriately roasting coffee beans so that it does an outstanding job of keeping you awake and energized.
It should be a no brainer that this blend of coffee isn’t suitable for anyone with a heart condition, or cannot take anything with high caffeine content.
Therefore, if you are one of those people, stay away from this brand of coffee! A mixture of beans sourced from different regions is used in this blend, particularly from India and Peru.
Mostly Arabica and Robusta beans have been used in this blend. To truly bring out the bold and strong flavors, the company roasts them at a French roast level.
Of course, the way you make the coffee will affect how strong your brew will be, since each bean may have a slightly different level of caffeine content.
You will be able to pick up a very bold and earthy aroma as soon as the hot water hits the ground coffee. There is a hint of and dark as well as you take your sip. You can even additionally pick up a dark cherry after taste.
There is a slight bitterness to this , which is particularly unavoidable with a French roast. However, it would seem that the bitterness is there to complement its dark and bold taste. Not many people might like this blend, but if you are in the market for the strongest , this would be your best choice!
- It gives you a good caffeine boost and keeps you awake.
- One of these should keep you energized for the entire day. You can cut cost by not brewing 3 cups every day.
- Rich in flavor with hints of , , and even cherry.
- One of the strongest and boldest coffees in the world.
- Not suitable for people who have a heart condition or are sensitive to too high caffeine content products.
- Slightly bitter.
- You cannot it late in the day if you do not want to mess up your sleep cycle.
- There is a lack of pleasant and sweeter taste notes.
Lavazza Super Crema 2.2-Pound
This may not be the Lavazza entry on this list, but it definitely deserves a spot as one of the best out there right now. The thing to keep in mind is that the Super Crema variant has not been sourced from one region only.
Lavazza sources 70% washed Arabica beans from Brazil and Central America. Other than that, washed Robusta beans also come from Indonesia. The blend is just right, as the Arabica beans are known for their acidity which is also complemented by the sweetness they often provide.
Other than that, the washed Indonesian Robusta beans are superior to Robusta beans from Vietnam and Uganda, which are more commonly found in most espresso blends in the market. Because of the quality Robusta beans used, the taste notes of this is not bitter and woody at all.
Instead, you will instantly pick up a chocolatey aftertaste as soon as you take your sip. One of the most outstanding aspects of the Lavazza Super Crema is its ability to appeal to all types of people. Therefore, it is not surprising that this blend, in particular, has obtained so much mainstream success.
It is very versatile and can complement perfectly with any -based . It can provide a classic Italian experience without breaking the bank. However, you may need a bit of work to dial in correctly to obtain the perfect brew. It has a medium roast and is perfect for those who want to try out Lavazza’s offerings for the time.
- It is a pretty strong .
- Brewing properly will result in a thick and beautiful crema.
- It’s robust and has amazing flavors of vintage and .
- Gives a wonderful Italian experience.
- Good quality washed beans has been used to give it wonderful flavors.
- Not brewing it well will result in a burnt aftertaste.
- Works best with a burr , which not many people may have.
Koffee Cult Thunderbolt French Roast.
The Koffee Cult is a fairly dark roast and is quite bold according to many people. It’s perfect for those who want high caffeine content beans. The company is based in Hollywood, Florida. The mix ratio they ask for is two tablespoons of ground beans for every nine ounces of water.
They also suggest using filtered water to make sure none of the tastes from the water goes into the coffee. The blend consists of Colombian and Brazilian Beans and its French Roast.
The beans have also been sundried at an altitude of 1066 feet. Koffee Cult recommends going for French press in order to brew, to bring out its strong and bold flavors. Once the coffee is prepared, you will quickly notice that it has a nice and rich scent to it.
It usually is slightly acidic, but still is quite pleasant to . The should have quite a smooth finish, along with a heavy . It has a lot of flavors going for it and manages to be low on bitterness. Something a lot of people would really appreciate is the fact that Koffee Cult is a family business.
The espresso beans aren’t mass-produced, and the beans are processed and meticulously so that they retain their signature rich flavors and aroma. Also, the company strives to satisfy its customers to the fullest. They will go as far as to offer you a full refund on your if for some reason it does not live up to your expectation.
- The flavor of the is quite rich.
- There are hints of .
- Forms crème.
- No burnt aftertaste.
- Low on bitterness.
- The package can be sealed again after opening.
- Sometimes rocks can be found in the package.
- Beans may lack consistency.
Two Volcanoes Espresso Beans Dark Roast.
Two Volcanoes is another popular brand of coffees that originates from Guatemala as the name suggests. The blend consists of beans that are all grown, processed and packaged in the same region. Also, the company does not waste any time to ship them immediately so that the coffee retains its freshness for the longest period of time once packaged.
Once you open the package, the sweet aroma of one of the best coffee beans will hit your nose.
These ground beans are truly something to be excited about and are the favorite of many coffee enthusiasts. Since the Arabica and Robusta beans used in this blend all originate from one region, the company is able to keep the freshness and flavor of the beans intact for a long time after packaging.
The coffee is suitable for French press due to its coarse ground. Finally, when you take your sip, you will pick up woody, smoky notes.
The company is named Two Volcanoes because the is grown in the mountains near Tajana and Tajumulco volcanoes. The volcanic soil in the surrounding areas are very fertile and helps produce beans of superior quality. The roast is extremely dark and strong in flavor, however, unlike some other coffees on the list, does not have very high caffeine content.
One of the major complaints about this blend is that the beans are a bit oily. Moreover, some customers believe it is a bit over . Despite the company’s attempt to provide superior quality, they have still managed to keep this blend of affordable.
- Preserves freshness and flavor by growing and processing in a single region.
- Superior quality beans due to being grown on fertile volcanic soil.
- The dark roast blend has hints of and wooden flavors.
- Great tantalizing aroma.
- Low on bitterness.
- Beans are a bit oily.
- A bit over . Some may even believe it to be a bit burnt.
Stone Street Sumatra Gayo
Up next we have the dark Sumatra . Considered a good quality , you will love the strong notes that this naturally processed has to offer. Without the use of any harmful chemicals or pesticides, the Dark Sumatra has already carved a niche for itself.
If you are looking for a strong flavor, then this is the one for you. With a rich syrupy taste and aroma, the taste seems to prove its Indonesian origin.
Well known as a “Micro-Roasterie” roaster in Brooklyn, New York City, the Sumatra dark has a reputation for being one of the best that is handcrafted and to perfection.
With such careful techniques, the beans are I’m small batches to fully developed the unique flavor and give you a unique experience with every sip.
- Processed using natural techniques that involve no use of chemicals or pesticides.
- Comes with a re-sealable to keep the fresh and away from air
- Handcrafted with the beans specially in separate small batches
- Smooth finish and full-bodied taste that lingers for some time
- Dark roast with just the perfect amount of deep flavor
- Can be enjoyed in many ways, with or without , hot or iced, with cream, etc
- Complies with fair trade policies
- The tends to slightly stick to the
- Slightly sour taste to some people
- Not as strongly flavored or rich, a weak flavor
- Bitter and hard to adjust the taste sometimes
- No roasting dare on the package
- The is very oily and does not seem fresh
Raven’s Brew Deadman’s Reach
The next coffee on the list is the Raven’s Brew Dead man’s reach whole bean coffee. A pack that comes with whole beans, this coffee will definitely take your breath away. Brew this naturally processed coffee in any way you like and enjoy the magical concoction that this coffee never fails to deliver.
With sweet beans resulting from a natural technique that ensures the beans remain within the , you will also enjoy a rich and unique flavor since the is specifically sun-dried, so it can preserve the sweetness as well bring an even deeper texture that you simply can’t compare with other brews.
Moreover, the dark beans will also allow you to enjoy an amazing scent with a tantalizing flavor that contains nutty, caramel and also chocolatey notes. It indeed provides you with a flavor that is true of the Central or South America, and also India.
- Really delicious with the usual bitter taste and yet sweet notes
- Definitely works to keep you awake and feeling fresh
- Perfect for an espresso with earthy and chocolatey tones to it
- Strong and smooth finish but not too bitter at all
- Great for a dark , since the acid levels are just perfect, with no harsh taste
- Might be a little too expensive
- The roast isn’t as great since it’s great for French press but has a little bitter or burnt aftertaste to it
Jo Wild Jo 100% Arabica
The last coffee that we have in this review is the Wild Jo Coffee. This is yet another that comes with very strong notes of dark , and dark brown . You will be surprised to learn that no extra flavorings or preservatives are added into this , and is specially to bring about a unique flavor to it.
This French roast beans will surely bring a smile on your every time you make a cup for yourself. So what are you waiting for? Allow Wild Jo’s to transport you into the world of artisan craft , especially to perfection and experience Arabica like never before.
- Shiny and dark beans with just the right amount of flavor and texture and a rich taste
- No bitterness despite the beans being very dark
- Perfect for providing a caffeine kick in the mornings
- A well-balanced flavor that can work well with either hot or even iced
- Leaves a chocolatey aftertaste in the mouth
- USDA certified
- Complies to the Fair Trade policies
- Member of the professional Roaster’s Guild and the Specialty Association
- The roast isn’t dark enough and lacks flavor and tastes bland
- People who like strong won’t like this
- Use of too much cream will result in the loss of flavor
- Might be considered a medium roast for some people and not exactly a dark roast
- Burnt smell sometimes
You Should Know Before Buying Right Espresso Beans
There are actually a lot of things to consider before you buy the best beans for your espresso. Looking for the right beans won’t be as easy since there needs to be the right flavor, taste. Which is why there we have brought together a few pointers that will always guide you when you want to find the right beans for espresso. So let’s get started!
- Choose your favorite bean type: lovers around the world know that you can choose between Arabia and Robusta. You would like either of the two, but most lovers choose Arabica over Robusta due to its signature flavor and strong aroma. The flavors really depend on the type of bean you use, and now you already know which of the types you should choose from for an espresso.
- Arabica vs Robusta: usually you’ll find that Robusta lacks flavor and so Robusta is mostly used to make instant , due to its lack of flavor. However, some lovers feel that Robusta helps to form better crema and also provides a lot of caffeine into your espresso. Also, one other reason why you could say that Robusta is popular is that it is a cheaper option while Arabica is richer in flavor and fragrance when it comes to espresso.
As for Arabica, seasoned drinkers will instantly tell you about its delicious fruity taste with a hint of sweetness, and also a higher level of acidity. Which is why it fares better amongst experienced drinkers.
- Decide on the type of roast that you prefer: In , the types of roast can be broadly categorized into roast, medium roast, medium-dark roasts, and dark roasts. The taste of your espresso definitely depends a lot on how much the beans are . You see, even in cafes and popular places, you will always find that a special type of is used specifically for espresso as regular simply doesn’t cut it. Rather, you need darker that has been more than her types of , to make proper espresso since that is exactly what the traditional espresso calls for.
- Single origin vs Blends: the choice between single origin and blends is a huge one. While both types of can be used depending upon the type of taste that you prefer and how much you’re willing to spend on your espresso, the type along with other such factors are more likely to affect the quality of your espresso. In most cases, people choose Blends over Single origin mainly due to the increased price, which not everyone can easily afford.
- The Roast Date: you might think that has an unlimited expiry date that may last on for a long time. However, just like any other products, too has a limited shelf life, which affects its taste and fragrance by a great deal if you exceed the time within which it should have been consumed.
Especially in case of espresso, the Roast date plays a very crucial role since it always tastes better only when the grounds are fresh. Try to get from a local store where they ground or where it’s well known as the will usually remain fresh for about 2 months at the highest. Any time after that, and you will notice how the espresso lacks flavor and the usual acidity that you expect it to have.
- Proper storage: simply purchasing the right doesn’t mean that your job’s all done. In fact, it’s not even half done if you don’t even know how to store it in a way that will ensure its freshness. Keeping it in an airtight container is the best bet as this way the will remain fresh for a long time as it is away from exposure to air. Exposure to also has an effect on , so it is better to store in a place that is dry, cool, and away from sunlight.
However, if the roaster packages the in an airtight , then you don’t really need to worry much about your getting damaged due to or exposure to air. Your beans won’t have the risk of becoming stale as the packet will be properly sealed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Which beans to use for espresso?
- you can use any kinds of beans for espresso since there is no hard and fast rule for which to use, but mostly, the two basic types that are most popularly used for espresso are Arabica and Robusta.
Q: Do I need special beans for espresso?
- Some might tell you that there isn’t any real difference
Q: Can I use dark roast for espresso?
- Dark roast is actually ideal for espresso since the main purpose of the espresso is to provide a strong caffeine kick. Usually, dark beans are preferred for espresso to bring in that strong flavor. Furthermore, it also aids in the crema formation and helps to cut out the creaminess of of excess cream.
Q: Can you use French roast beans for espresso?
- French roast usually roasts the beans for longer and so it could work well for espresso. However, any dark would be suitable for espresso as long as they provide a stronger flavor and smoother finish.
Q: Can you use roasts for espresso?
- It all comes to your skills when making espresso. As long as the beans are finely ground by using high-pressure brewing methods, espresso can be made using or dark .
We would like to assure you that your search for fine quality and rich textured is officially over. Now that you have learned quite a bit about what to look for when you are looking for beans that make a perfect cup of espresso, we’d suggest you try out some of the beans that we have listed here. With unique blends, and rich, aromatic waiting on the line for you, let yourself unwind and immerse in a unique experience of flavors and fragrances that will leave an impression to last for quite some time.
You May Also Like To Read:
- Keurig K50 Review 2019
- Keurig K15 Review 2019
- Keurig K55 Review: Best Single-Cup Coffee Maker In Market
My name Is Stephane Carol. Founder and Senior Editor And Products Analyst Expert at http://tastycoffeemaker.com/. I found It Most probably November 2018. I love my kitty cat. Her name Is “LUPY” Read More
Last update on 2021-01-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API